It was 1925 when the Minnesota Valley Canning Company developed the seeds for a tender and larger pea.
The peas were dubbed “Green Giant.” When the company trademarked the product, it also created a giant character to feature on labels.
The Green Giant became so recognizable that in 1950 Minnesota Valley Canning Company, founded in 1903, was renamed Green Giant.
Pillsbury acquired Green Giant in 1979. In 2001, General Mills acquired Green Giant through its acquisition of Pillsbury.
As of November 2015, General Mills operates the Green Giant business in Europe and certain other export markets under license from B&G Foods.